Call us : (02) 9938 5419
Making the right nutritional decisions for your child can be daunting! While well-meaning family members and friends may have lots of dinner time war stories to share, and ‘Dr Google’ offers generic online advice that just doesn’t work in the real world, it can be hard to know where to turn when you are worried about the effect that your child’s nutrition and eating habits are having on their health and development.
At Kids First, we meet many families who are concerned about their son or daughter’s relationship with food. Regardless of whether your child is a baby, toddler, young child or teenager, we understand that feeding issues can be not only stressful, but also damaging to kids’ well-being.
If you need personal, practical support from a fully qualified, university educated professional, you’ll find the advice you need at Kids First.
Kids First’s paediatric dietitian, Lauren Hogg, is an accredited member of the Dietitians Association of Australia. As member of Kids First’s multi-disciplinary allied health team, she is passionate about setting children up for a healthy future and making sure that their families are supported too.
Perhaps you have a fussy eater and dread mealtimes because they have become a daily battle of wills.
Or maybe your child has food allergies and you need to take extra care to ensure they are not only safe, but well nourished.
You may have chosen a vegetarian or vegan approach for your family, or simply want to ensure that your child’s behaviour challenges are not being exacerbated by the food they are eating.
Whatever your needs, Lauren can offer nutritional assessment, advice and an individually tailored dietary plan that will take the guess work out of feeding your family.
Contact a Paediatric Dietitian at Kids First if you are concerned about your child’s …
- Fussy feeding and problem eating
- Coeliac disease & gluten sensitivity
- Weight gain or obesity
- Failure to thrive or weight loss
- Behaviour after consuming certain foods
- Allergies or intolerances to foods like dairy, eggs, nuts, soy or wheat
- Sensory struggles with the smell, touch or taste of some foods
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and the Low FODMAP Diet
- Low energy levels and possible iron deficiencies
- Unique needs such as Autism Spectrum Disorders or ADHD
- Tummy troubles like constipation, gastroesophageal reflux or bloating
We can also help the grown-ups in your household with …
- Pre and post-natal nutrition advice
- Guidance when introducing formula or solids to your baby
- Comprehensive nutrition support for families that follow a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle
- Individualised meal plans for your child that include recipes and other personally tailored tips
Kids First’s Paediatric Dietitian services
At Kids First, we understand that food and eating is a huge part of children’s’ lives. That’s why we offer a flexible range of dietetic and nutritional support services that meets the needs of busy kids and their families.
If you have a fussy eater, Lauren can come to your home for an initial observation visit to see what’s happening during the tricky mealtimes that happen at your house. Observing your child in their natural environment is not a ‘test’ for anxious mums and dads, but rather a supportive way to begin as we personalise your child’s mealtime plan or feeding therapy program.
The majority of our clients visit us in our family friendly clinic in Sydney’s northern beaches. Here at Kids First, Lauren provides one to one consultations and feeding therapy for children and their families.
If you live too far away from Kids First to easily visit us in person, or have some general questions about your child’s diet or nutrition that you simply need answers to, our tele-health consultation options could be just right for you. You can schedule a convenient online video or phone appointment so that distance is not a barrier to getting the support your child needs.
Kids First also offers packages that combine the above services so that you can choose the on-going support you need.
At Kids First, we love to share our knowledge with parents, carers and educators at preschools, childcare centres and schools. We also provide small group programs for groups of parents (e.g. your mothers’ group or playgroup) where parents with similar concerns can get together to discuss fussy eating or childhood nutrition.
Paediatic dietitian services receive rebates from Medicare, private health funds and the NDIS.
- Medicare covers some of the cost of seeing a dietitian, but only when your doctor refers your child through a specific Medicare plan. Please consult with your GP who will determine if your child meets the criteria and can provide you with more information.
- Many private health funds offer rebates for dietetic consultations. The amount of your rebate will depend on the level of cover you have chosen, so please contact your health fund to find out about your entitlements.
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) considers Dietetics to be a therapeutic support. If your child has a disability or developmental delay and their NDIS plan identifies the need for individual advice about managing diet for health, you may be able to claim the cost of dietitian consultations. At Kids First, we support children with self or plan-managed NDIS funding, so please check your child’s plan for your eligibility.
Contact Kids First now
Need the help of our paediatric dietitian to solve the problems your child and family is facing? Contact Kids First Children’s Services in Sydney’s northern beaches on (02) 9938 5419